Tuesday, February 5, 2008

Taiwan Residences FDC

Taiwan FDC
Name: Traditional Taiwanese Residences (1st Series)
Issue date: 2008 January 23rd
Number: Sp. 514

To introduce the beauty of Taiwan's old homes to our citizens and make an appeal for people to treasure these legacies, this Post has specially asked Professor Li Chien-lang to plan a set of four stamps on traditional Taiwanese residences. This set – Traditional Taiwanese Residences Postage Stamps (I) – features the Liou Family Compound in Shangfangliao, Sinpu, Hsinchu County; the Lin Family Mansion in Banciao, Taipei County; the Li Teng-fang Compound in Dasi, Taoyuan County; and the Siao Family Compound in Jiadong, Pingtung County.

Liou Family Compound in Shangfangliao, Sinpu, Hsinchu County
It was first built in 1781. After several subsequent additions, it reached its current size, with two main halls and six side wings. The compound is a traditional farming village dwelling, and the architectural style is practical and simple. Offering privacy and security, it is representative of Hakka residential dwellings of that era.

NT$5.00: Lin Family Mansion in Banciao, Taipei County
The complex at one point included main halls opening onto three separate courtyards, along with several side wings and a garden. Only the main halls (built in 1853), courtyards and garden remain today. The mansion is the most representative of luxurious Cing Dynasty residential dwellings in Northern Taiwan. Some of the architectural elements were not constructed in the traditional southern Fujianese style and reflect the influence of foreign culture.

NT$5.00: Li Teng-fang Compound in Dasi, Taoyuan County
Built in 1860, it is a large compound with two courtyards and several side wings. The orderly layout of the compound features a strong central axis and clear lines of movement. The compound's design emphasizes security. It provides a great example of how rich families expanded their residential dwellings as their social status grew during the mid-Cing Dynasty.

NT$12.00: Siao Family Compound in Jiadong, Pingtung County
It was first constructed in the late 19th century, and additions were made during the era of Japanese rule. It now has five halls and two side wings that run parallel to the central axis of halls and courtyards for its entire length. Complete compounds of this type are very rare in Taiwan today. The compound provides excellent security. With its school room, buyuelo study, and ceremonial sizihting (ceremonial chiminea-like structure for burning paper), the compound was almost a self-contained small community.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails