Name: Coats of Arms of Lithuania Towns
Date of Issue: 21 February 2009
The locality was already known in the times of Vytautas the Great – since 1409. In 1416 was the centre of Upytės powiat (second-level unit of local government). The first church in Krekenava was built by Vytautas in 1419, after the christening of Žemaičiai. The settlement was mentioned as a town in 1561. The Church of Ascension of Holly Virgin Mary is famous for a miraculous painting of Mother of God in the central altar and for Žolinės festival. This church attracts most prayers from the northern and middle Lithuania. There are two symbols in the emblem of the town – in the blue shield background there are three silver lilacs, which symbolize Holly Mary, and underneath in the red field – golden kanklės (a Lithuanian plucked string musical instrument related to the zither) made by the local craftsmen.
Pakruojis was mentioned indirectly for the first time in the note of Trakai voivedeship, when it was allowed to establish a manor and town by a privilege. It is stated that the establishment of the town which was later was named Pakruojis took place approximately between 1525 and 1531. In 1613 the first church was built. The Pakruojis manor is an example of late Classicism architecture, the largest extant ensemble of manor’s buildings in Lithuania. In the end of XIX – beginning of XX century Pakruojis was the centre of a volost (traditional administrative subdivision in Lithuania) and after it became the regional centre in 1950, it was granted town rights. Emblem of this city – black arch bridge on the golden background over which there is a red shield with golden wind mill. The town distinguishes from others by its wind mills and a unique arch bridge in Lithuania, therefore these images were used in the emblem of Pakruojis.
3 Lt: Šalčininkai
Šalčininkai for the first time were mentioned in Duisburg chronicles in 1311. In 1410 the first church was built. In XV century this settlement was already a town, but it gained the town rights only in 1956. In 1882 the railway line Vilnius–Lyda was built, which went through Šalčininkai. In 1972 the regional centre was moved from Eišiškės to Šalčininkai. Emblem of the town consists of two parts. In the upper part of the shield there are two crossed keys in the blue background – keys of the apostle St. Peter – symbol of the Catholic land. In the lower part – red background – truss of nuts, this symbolizes the unity and brotherhood of various nations living in Šalčininkai.
Comment: My friend made 3 errors on this FDC, could you find out?
Lithuania Coats of Arms Series FDCs:
Joniškis; Jurbarkas; Širvintos
Krekenava; Pakruojis; Šalčininkai
Monday, March 23, 2009